Monday, September 15, 2008

i love black people



[sitting on the bus alone]...


bus driva: ...ya know those dresses? the ones that gots a turtleneck/tie thing that like hangs down... and theys gots no sleeves?
me:
(looking around the bus to confirm that she is speaking with me through the windshield) yeah?

bus driva: (pause)... when they supossa wear those? i mean fits like hot out... then they not gonna want to have like that on their neck! but fits cold... they don't got no sleeves!
me:
...yeah... funny.

(five minutes of silence whilst reading my new political book of wonderment)

bus driva:...and you know those mini skirts and the hairy boots? ...what's up with that? I mean, if it is cold enough to wear the fur boots it is too cold to be wearin the mini skirt. period!

<-- (i knew what she was talking about, but this was the only thought i couldn't shirk)

(at school, supposedly in a "study hall" and I am "supervising" my kids as they "study." right. but really who cares.)


they start singing and dancin round to songs i recognize..."soldier boy...." i have my computer, so i bust the song out and jam with myself across the room. one of my girls notices and says: "damn, we gossum
white chocolate
in the room!"

(this was, by the way, after the other intern was walkin behind me and said, "damn girl, you got a butt!")

maybe in the next life i will get to be black... until then, i feel right at home...

4 comments:

  1. Please Please keep these stories coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha! That's great. Reminds me of my aerobics class in high school when i wanted to be on the mexican/black girl's side of the volleyball net. Neecie (remember her- big, black, funny girl) said, "Dang girl- you like da sawlt in our peppah." I loved it. Glad you are having good experiences

    ReplyDelete
  3. That just totally made my day even better! Love ya! Cam

    ReplyDelete

cause they make me smile